What’s Cooking Wednesday: Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Cookies
Fall is here! At least if the return of all things pumpkin and pumpkin flavor are any indication.
And pumpkin is kind of a big deal around here in central Illinois. Did you know we grow more pumpkins than any other state? In fact, 80-85% of the world’s supply of processing pumpkins (used to make canned pumpkin puree & pie filling) are grown by Illinois farmers. Plus pumpkin pie is now the official state pie.
So in honor of this ‘local’ ingredient, try these Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Cookies. Kind of like a pumpkin snickerdoodle, cinnamon chips and a combination of spices make this cookies a tasty fall treat and the perfect complement for some apply cider…or milk if you prefer.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- Topping: 2 tsp. cinnamon & 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 1 or 2 cookie sheets.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter with granulated and brown sugars. Add egg and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla and pumpkin puree.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and stir as you go until just combined. Stir in cinnamon chips.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon topping in small bowl. With lightly floured hands, roll teaspoonfuls of dough into a ball and then roll in topping to coat.
- Place about two inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten the balls with your hand or a flat bottomed glass (these cookies don’t really spread so flatten them to the size you want your final cookie).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges just start to brown. Remove from oven & leave on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies. Enjoy!
Adapted from “Pumpkin Cookies Recipe” by Two Peas & Their Pod. See the original recipe here.
What’s your favorite pumpkin flavored food?