The Friday Five: A Better Look at Beef
Did you know that yesterday (Aug. 27) was #NationalBurgerDay? Thank you, social media for the heads up.
Coincidentally, there’s also a headline grabbing story floating around this week about the safety of ground beef. Let’s take a better look:
- From Food Insights, here’s a few facts and myths to explore about the safety of ground beef. Bottom line: bacteria doesn’t care where your beef came from – wash your hands & cook it to the right temperature (160 degrees)!
- For another perspective, check out this article from High Plains Journal. The good news: almost all of the bacteria found in the “study” was not the kind that cause serious foodbourne illnesses
- Reading past the headlines is important, especially when it comes to blurbs about scientific studies, as pointed out in this LA Times article.
- And here’s an article from Business Insider that looks at some potential problems with the ground beef safety “study”.
- For some tips on ways to safely store, handle, thaw & cook beef check here.
What’s your favorite way to eat a hamburger?